You really can’t go wrong with a Chocolate Birthday Cake for kids of all ages and this one is so simple that kids of all ages could help you make it!!
4 oz caster sugar
3 1/2 oz self-raising flour
1 oz cocoa powder
1 1/2 oz unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the icing
12 oz good quality plain chocolate, broken into pieces
8 oz unsalted butter
3 1/2 oz icing sugar, sifted
1. Preheat oven to Gas 4 / 350F / 180C. Grease a 20cm spring-form cake tin and line the base with greaseproof paper or similar.
2. Put sugar and eggs in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Using an electric whisk, whisk until thick and foamy and the whisk leaves a trail in the mixture (approx 5-10 mins).
3. Sift the flour and cocoa powder into the mixture and carefully fold in with the melted butter and vanilla until well combined.
4. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 25 mins until risen and firm to touch. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 mins and then turn out on to a wire rack and leave to cool.
5. Next is the icing. Melt the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water. Remove from heat and beat in the icing sugar. Set aside to cool and then chill for 1 hour until thickened.
6. Slice the cake in half horizontally and use half the icing to sandwich back together. Use the remaining icing to cover the top and sides of the cake. To write a birthday message use any coloured sweets – smarties, white chocolate buttons, m&ms etc. Add some candles and hey presto!!